Thursday, June 7, 2012

"I can make that"

...then one night I decided to make paper and here is what happened...

To make paper you need a deckle, that is what makes the shape of the paper. And you also need some screen to strain the water from the paper paste both of which I didn't have....so I improvised.

For our wedding we registered for a three pack of strainers (that I think Danita bought for us! -not positive.) and it is just unnecessary to have three I have learned. So anyways, I choose to somehow get the wire from one of the strainers we don't use and use it for my deckle! It took me about 20 minutes to rip it from the metal border thang. I had to use a hammer to force it apart and a hair dryer to try and "melt" the glue-which i don't think even worked, it only make the metal so hot that it burned my hand when I touched it.


Then I used two pie tins for the actual deckle. BUT I could not find anything to actually cut the shape out of my pie tin so I had to use scissors. And with the scissors I I could only make a weird circle and an oddly shaped square.


Also you need to force the two tins together on both sides of the wire when you are running it through the water, so that none of the paper mash gets between the two tins. Most people use close pins, which I did not have. So i had to use bobby pins and hold it together with my hands. That did not work too well. So that is why I made dumb shapes.

After you strain all of the water out and the pan, you put the paper in-between two picecs of felt and use a rolling pin or you own strength to get the rest of the water out. Then bam, you have some paper and you now just have to wait till it is allll dry. It was pretty fun and super easy to do.



I tried to use beads to make little flowers. It was not easy,
 the paper kept ripping and well I am just not good at sewing!
 But i think for my first time it turned out pretty nice. 





No comments:

Post a Comment